Sunday 1 December 2013

Driving

I really love driving, and long sessions on the open road are ideal. Especially those wherein I'm not sat in traffic and I'm not in a rush because I'm running late. (I'm going to throw it out there right now that I am a terrible driver. Just awful.)

My love for driving probably stems from the (faux) privacy of the car. It's a personal little booth where I can belt out some Britney, and it's where I do most of my thinking. I used to drive back to Lancaster every Sunday night after an emotionally pent up weekend working this frustrating unrewarding job, and sing my heart out and just blow off the steam that had collected since the week before. (Not only am I terrible driver, but my singing would upset you.) When I'd get back to my flat I'd usually be exhausted, and I would have re-evaluated my life and how I'd handled things and feel bad that this was how I felt about my life.

Every evening on the way home from my current work, this 45-or-so minute drive, I think back over the events of the day. There are these perfect little eureka moments when it comes to understanding myself, and for a lot of other people these usually come in the shower. For me it's when I'm behind the wheel. These days the drives are a lot more positive.

A few weeks ago I wrote a post gushing about how much happier I am now, and it's true, but I don't feel I really got into it in the writing. My 2014 goal was achieved in 2013. This is such an undeniably huge deal for me, because I didn't honestly imagine that it would happen. 2013 was a useless year for many reasons, but my career wasn't one of them. What's even more unbelievable is that going from the feedback I've had so far from my colleagues, I actually seem fairly capable. I guess I'm trying hard and they can see it, and I'm having fun while doing it. I've been there for two months now and I've noticed my commute home consists of 'so this went well today' or 'I learned something new - how am I actually going to put it into practice?' or 'wow, I'm actually doing this.'

I am still one of those bores that has become consumed by her job, but at least it's an interesting job, and this habit will diminish in time. It's refreshing though to be able to say how happy I am, and I'm not going to stop.

On perhaps a less meaningful note, last night I put a quilt on my bed as a mattress topper and good lord. I slept like a baby, which only highlighted how badly I've been sleeping for all this time. My joints haven't cracked once all day!

No comments:

Post a Comment