Sunday 11 August 2013

Out with the old, in with the new.

Last night I was taking yet another picture of my cat. When my iPhone showed me the finished product, it also gave me some interesting information. '650 of 650' it said. 'Six hundred and fifty photos!' I thought. 'Surely not!'

I flipped through and found combination of cat pictures, selfies, food photos and random snaps (including lots of pictures of my Grandad), making up 650 fairly useless pictures. 'I'll delete some of the older ones,' I decided. But a lot of the older pictures are ones I want to keep. Loads of pictures of people that aren't really in my life anymore, but I wouldn't really feel right deleting. Don't get me wrong, I'm not keeping these pictures because I'm clinging on to people, but I just don't see any real reason for deleting pictures that are nice memories if I still want them to be.

These pictures just got me thinking about the things I'm throwing away at the moment. I'm slowly redecorating my bedroom and part of the process means throwing away a lot of old junk. Today I went through my wardrobe and threw away a lot of clothes that I've not worn in the past few months. It's funny how one particular item of clothing can remind you of somebody - they might have been with you when you wore it or bought it, but all these material possessions contain a lot of memories. Right now I can see a necklace I let a friend borrow but she didn't return it for years, and now it reminds me of her.

Over the past few weeks though I've thrown a lot of stuff away, I've been quite brutal with it really. I'm just making room for new memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment